Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

How Much Can One Mama Take? Seriously!

As  I write this, I'm sitting next to my 7 month old daughter lying in a hospital crib, strapped to at least 3 different monitors and riddled with needlepricks from unsuccessful IV attempts. Seriously? I'm not strong enough to deal with this! Well, I guess I have no choice, do I?

She appears to be on the mend with a diagnosis of a respiratory infection. She was running a fever of 103-104 but that seems to be under control now.


Update: Tuesday Jan. 10, 2012
Still at the hospital with Kat. She responded to the meds and her fever is down. Still breathing hard and coughing A LOT. She's also not nursing as well but her appetite is pretty good- a bit decreased but it's there.


I was just thinking of the parents who cannot be with their kids  here. Completely, utterly heartbreaking to think that some have to choose between their family and their job. I know that the FMLA has alleviated some of this anxiety but it's still incredibly stressful to think your job might be jeopardized if you take time to stay with your sick child. Even more stressful when you carry the health insurance.
So I am thankful that I can be here with Kat, advocating and caring for her. The instant she needs a diaper change, she's changed and not waiting for a nurse to check in on her. I can hold her in my arms and rock her to sleep; she's not alone.

Now that I've made myself weepy about this, it's time to go back on Mama-duty. I am so grateful to our family and friends who have stepped in to help. Especially Grammy. Words cannot describe how thankful I am that Henry is happily spending time with Grammy so we can both be here, spelling each other when one needs a break and providing nonstop care and support for our baby. Since she's like a third parent to him, I doubt Henry even misses us, except for the occasional inquiry as to where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment